Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Traditions: Old and New

If you live in the Pacific Northwest you know first hand the beauty of snow and how magical it can make Christmas.  I never knew how truly magical it could be until this year on Christmas Day.  My family celebrated with our old traditions and we created some new ones.  My boys unwrapped their traditional PJ's Christmas Eve and we wrote our letters to Brody and placed them in his stocking.  Christmas morning was prefect and started at 6:30 am with 3 excited boys filling our morning with laughter and hugs. However, Christmas Day felt different. For the first time we wouldn't be traveling to my childhood home to celebrate with my parents and brothers.  Just a couple months ago my parents sold the home they have lived in for over 30 years.  I didn't realize how hard this would be for me until Christmas day when my parents stopped by our house for a bit then traveled back to their new condo. 

As I sat relaxing and looking at the aftermath of Christmas presents and the clean up that was waiting I had an idea.  Leave the mess and create some new memories.  With that we bundled up and headed out for a winter hike behind our house.  Our property backs up to an old dirt road that leads to the backside of Antoine Peak Conservation Area.  We've hiked this before in the summer and the views were amazing.  But, nothing compares to the magic of the snow and hiking through the woods, especially on Christmas Day.  A new family tradition was created that day.  I feel blessed to live in a place that is so incredibly peaceful and beautiful.  If you are lucky enough to live in a similar place don't waste it inside no matter what the weather or the day.  Get out there and enjoy the beauty that nature has to offer us.  Our boys did a great job hiking, playing in the snow and enjoying our time together.  We still have several days left of winter break and I am sure there will be several more winter hikes for us. 
No words...love this picture

Can't beat the view from the top 

Christmas day love...


Brothers 

I can see our house from the top :) 

He wanted to climb trees the entire hike 

my loves

No comments:

Post a Comment