Thursday, December 22, 2016

True Love



In November my parents, brothers and our spouses all traveled to San Diego to join in the celebration of my cousin Ryan's wedding to his beautiful bride Lindsay.  The picture above was captured during my cousin's speech at the reception where he thanked my mom and dad for traveling during her difficult battle with cancer.  Two people that I love more than anything with two very different emotions.  One holding strong and one falling apart.  Isn't that what a marriage is made of.  I've heard the saying before how you take turns being strong for one another during difficult times.  I have watched my parents show this over the last six months while I've watched my dad take care of my mother.  His loving ways, sweet kisses on her forehead to telling her how beautiful she is everyday.  My parents have been married for 43 years.  They met when my mom was 15 and my dad was 16.  To watch the two of them together, hard times and all, makes me so incredibly thankful that I have their love as a role model for my own marriage.  Yesterday, my mom and I sat together as we waited for my dad to be out of surgery.  Now I watch as my mom, fighting herself was the strength for both of them.  She showed her emotion of crying when talking with the doctor, thankful that the surgery went well and my dad was recovering.  Her big smile when she saw my dad and caring nature as she sat in the recover room taking care of him. I am simply in awe of her strength.  The saying "difficult times always create opportunities for you to experience more love in your life," brings new meaning to me.  Watching my parents and their unconditional love is a wonderful reminder to follow in their path of grace, love, kindness and joy with my own marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment